What is a Cooker Gasket?
Also known as a securing ring, a pressure cooker gasket is utilized to keep the device airtight, maintain the steam and not let the pressure escape from the cooker. It also seals in the stress.
The pressure cooker gasket is made up of two components, such as rubber and silicone.
How to take care of New Cooker Gaskets?
Gaskets are generally made from silicone material; some of them even use polymers rather than rubber as rubbers can not endure high temperature and pressure.
Why is silicone better?
- Unlike rubber, food odour is not sustained in silicone gaskets.
- Silicone provides a much better hold and includes a seal.
- Silicone gaskets are a lot stronger, and they have an inclination to live longer than rubber gaskets since they don’t crack soon upon ageing.
Follow these points that will assist you in maintaining your new gasket;
- There is no requirement for special cleaning if you are using a brand new gasket for your pressure cooker. A quick wash will do just fine.
- Before installation, most people soak the rubber and silicone gasket in water, which is considered to be a misconception. It is not true as it does not make the gasket any more powerful.
- Neither the silicon nor the rubber can absorb water, so the soaking will not help it in any case.
- Nonetheless, the new gasket should not be stretched or pulled or it will lose its primary shape.
How to Clean the Gasket?
Here are a few steps to cleanse your cooker gasket;
- Do not forget to remove the gasket from the lid after every use of your pressure cooker. Also, make sure to wash it thoroughly with water and soap.
- Do not wash the gasket in the dishwasher.
- Soapy water is the best way to wash the gasket as it is mild and watery.
- Check for the indications of damage and breaking or cracks that might be established in the gasket. Always look at the gaskets closely to check.
Always follow the producer manual while setting up the gasket in the pressure cooker. Usually, you will find both correct and incorrect steps in the manual.
- If you can not find signs, you can try leading with any type of obvious writing on the gasket with information encountering in the direction of you.
- So, before fitting it, seek indications. The relevant side needs to constantly face upwards while fixing up a gasket.
Identify the problem
Steam leakage from a particular place beneath the lid may be the early symptom and signs of a weakening gasket.
What to do when this happens?
- Slowly decrease the temperature as well as let the pressure cooker depressurize.
- Later, eliminate the lid with care.
- Examine the point of the steam leak.
Mostly, you will find a small crack, an opening or a tear in the gasket. This tiny problem is sufficient to make your pressure cooker wasteful. If you utilize it more often, your food preparation time will increase.
Tips to increase the durability of Gasket
- Wash the gasket after every use without fail. Ensure that it is cleaned thoroughly and dried out before you fix it again on the pressure cooker.
- After you are done cooking, a few bits of the dish might get caught up in the gasket. Salt, oil or spices get stuck in it and do not come off smoothly. Clean it properly so that the ingredients of the dish do not tear up the gasket quickly.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe the gasket and remove all the bits and pieces stuck in it. Make sure it is clean and dry before securing the lid.
- The internal heat of a pressure cooker can easily damage the gasket, so make sure that you always make use of water in a sufficient quantity. Do not let the cooker work dry.
- Do not stretch, turn, pull, knot or fold the gasket, be sure that the kids don‘t get a hold of it either.
- If you feel that the gasket has become old and weak, soak it in hot water for 15-20 minutes before using it.
- Replace the gasket with a new one periodically.
Store gasket for an extended period
You will have to store the gasket properly in a cold and dry area to keep the device for a very long time. The extreme temperature can affect the soft parts of appliances, such as gaskets. Avoid storing them in garages and outdoors.
Store the gasket inside the cover when you are not using it for a long time. While doing so, you can store it with a dusting of baking soda to make sure it doesn‘t absorb any moisture and smell. When you plan on using the pressure cooker, take the stored gasket, clean it completely with hot water and soap before you cook.
Lid Upside Down
For more prolonged durability, you must store the cooker with the lip upside down. Position the cooker gasket on top of the cooker, with the weight placed on the sides.
To get rid of any smell that reeks from the cooker gasket, you can use baking soda. You can keep a sealed pouch containing baking soda inside the pressure cooker. Additionally, using a few spoons of baking soda can get rid of the odour and eliminate the unwanted scent from the pressure cooker and further removes moisture.
How to store the Gasket?
Have an Extra Gasket
Try to keep a spare gasket stored in a plastic bag or a cover. The humid environment can affect the gasket and tear or wear it out. To avoid moisture and dampness in the gasket, use cooking soda.
If you happen to use your pressure cooker regularly, there are no special steps to keep in mind for saving the gasket. Use the usual ways to clean it and dry it before you position it back in the cooker lid. Always cover the gasket when you are not using it to avoid smell inside the cooker.